We had something of an Indian Summer last week, just in time for my beetroot harvest. “Harvest” I say, trying not to laugh. I managed to grow a total of two beetroots, yes you heard it right, two!! Ok, so I won’t be winning any prizes for my agricultural skills but I do try. Luckily I’d been to visit my Nan in the seaside town of Rush, North Dublin a few days before hand and she had some beautifully juicy beets waiting for me. It’s thanks to my Nan that I was able to make this tasty salad. My Nana’s always treating me to fresh, locally grown produce when I visit her and in return I always bring a meal for us to share. She’s 86 years of age, grows lots of her own fruits and veg, keeps an immaculate garden and she loves trying out my new dishes. My Nana rocks!
What you’ll need: (serves 4)
- 400g of uncooked beetroot, peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of agave
- one apple sliced into 0.5cm chunks
- 1/2 cup of toasted walnuts
- 50g of baby spinach
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Mix the olive oil, agave, apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper in a jug. Place the grated beetroot, apple, spinach and walnuts into a large serving dish. Pour over the liquid mix and stir well. Taste to check the seasoning, adjust to your liking and that’s it!
Share and enjoy!