I’m calling this dish a curry as I’m not sure what else to call it. It’s made with tomatoes and flavoured with Indian spices so I guess it’s something that can be called a curry. This went down a treat with my sister for this week’s Meatless Monday. It’s pretty moreish, takes no time to make and costs practically nothing. It would be a great dish for a large family as this recipe makes a lot.
Like most of my Meatless Monday dishes this one freezes really well too but the key thing is not to add spinach to the portions that you plan to freeze, the spinach is so much nicer added fresh. Like my quick and easy chickpea curry, this dish takes the same amount of time to make as it does to boil a pot of rice. I’ve added a little paprika for some heat but you could always add some chili too.
What you’ll need: (Serves 6-8)
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tins of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- sugar to taste (I added 1 teaspoon but tastebud intuition)
- teaspoon of ground ginger
- teaspoon of ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons of turmeric
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons of medium curry powder
- bag of baby leaf spinach, washed
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions. Gently cook with the lid on until the onions become translucent.
- Add the spices to the pan and stir well to cook them. Add half a can of the tomatoes and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the rest of the tomatoes and heat through. Taste and add sugar if required. Once hot enough add in the chickpeas.
- Just before serving add in some spinach and cook until it’s just wilted.
- Serve up with some basmati rice.
- 1 large onion = €0.33
- 2 tin of chickpeas drained = €2.16 (I used organic chickpeas here)
- 2 tin of chopped tomatoes = €2.16 (I only use organic canned tomatoes)
- I’ll add in €1.00 for the spices (it’s much less though)
- 1 bag of baby leaf spinach = €1.59
Prep & Cook Time: 20mins
Cost per person, not including rice is €1.20 for 6 people or €0.90 for 8 people
Share and enjoy!