I’m going to have to add portobello mushrooms to my list of food favourites! They’re packed with umami flavour, there’s substance to their bite and they’re cheap as chips, a winner in my book. As usual, this Meatless Monday recipe is super easy to make, the kale takes a little time to wash and prep but even still you can whizz this up in about 30 minutes. Plus it comes in at just over €2 per portion, compare that to the cost of a Chinese takeaway.
What you’ll need: (serves 4)
- 8 portobello mushrooms cut into 1cm slices
- 3 cups of kale
- One large white onion, halved and sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, grated (grating garlic and ginger is my new thing)
- 360g Soba noodles (some packs come in 3 x 90g measures)
- 1/4 Tamari Sauce
- 2 tablespoons of Chinese rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil (I’ve used the pure stuff here but you can use toasted sesame oil too)
- 2 teaspoons of palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons of lightly toasts sesame seeds
- Bring the noodles to the boil and cook to the packet instructions. My packet advised that they should take 5 mins to cook but they were ready in 3. Keep an eye on this. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Heat a little oil in a wok and fry the onions.
- While the onions are cooking prepare your kale.
- When the onions are done remove and set to one side. Add some more oil to the pan and then add the mushrooms. Toss to make sure they are well coated in the oil. Add the garlic and cover with a lid. If your wok or pan is not big enough you’ll need to cook the mushrooms in two batches. If the pan starts to dry out add a little splash of water.
- Add the sugar, vinegar and tamari to a bowl and whisk together to disolve the sugar.
- When the mushroom are ready add the kale and toss well. You don’t want to cook the kale, just soften it a little.
- Add the onions, followed by the noodles and then the sauce. Toss to heat through.
- Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds.
Costing: (the oil and rice wine vinegar are things I have in the house all the time, lets add €0.50 for both of these)
- Organic Soba Noodles: €2.80
- Portobello Mushrooms: €2
- Kale (I paid €0.49 in Aldi but the quality was not great so I’l stick with the usual price): €1.79
- Tamari: €0.80
- Onion: €0.33
- Garlic: €0.15
- Sesame Seeds: €0.50
- Oil & Vinegar: €0.50
Prep Time & Cook Time: 30mins
Cost per person is €2.09 for 4 people.
Share and enjoy!