I am one of the lucky ones in that I adore mushrooms, in fact I rely on mushrooms a lot for that umami and meaty bite, but there are some people who just do not like them. I was thinking about this lately, that as a vegan if I didn’t like mushrooms I think I’d enjoy my food a little less, especially the big, celebratory meals like Christmas dinner. So, for you fellow mushroom loving vegans, here’s a super simple and quick dish that’s packed with flavour and is sure to fill you up.
What You’ll Need: (serves 2)
- 200g chestnut mushrooms (cleaned)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 10 sage leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 1 pack of gnocchi
- Vegan parmesan
- 1 teaspoon of nutritional yeast (optional)
- Add the gnocchi to a pan of salted, boiling water and cook until the gnocchi floats to the top, or follow the pack instructions.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the butter to a large frying pan over a medium heat. Slice the mushrooms into 1cm slices and add to the pan along with the sage.
- Grate the clove of garlic into the pan and stir well, making sure the garlic is well spread out throughout the mushrooms. Add a little salt and remove from the pan when cooked.
- When the gnocchi is cooked drain but keep a little of the cooking water.
- Add the rest of the butter to the pan and melt through, followed by the gnocchi. Stir well and add two tablespoons of the cooking water and the mushrooms. Add in a teaspoon of nutritional yeast, stir well and finish with a generous grating of vegan parmesan cheese.
Share and enjoy!