Whole cherry tomatoes, what a magical burst of flavour these guys add to any dish. Gnocchi can sometimes be dry so the cherry toms complement them so well. This is a truly scrumptious, cheesy dish and it goes down so well with the kids. When I make it for me, I add a generous sprinkle of chilly flakes for a kick!
What you’ll need: (serves 4-6)
- I large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium aubergines, cleaned and cut into bite size chunks
- About 4 cherry tomatoes per person
- 500g packet of gnocchi
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 block of vegan cheese from Violife, cut into 1cms cubes
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 red chilli, chopped or a teaspoon of chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon of tamari
- salt and pepper to taste
*** You can add some sugar to the tomato sauce if you prefer it less sharp. I’m trying to cut out sugar so I haven’t added it into this dish.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Add two tablespoons of the oil to a large baking tray and heat before adding the aubergine. Toss the aubergine making sure it’s well coated in the oil and bake for about 30mins. Then add in the tomatoes and bake for a further 10mins.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to a large pan and add the onions. Cook on a low heat until the onions are soft and translucent, about 15mins.
- Add the chilli and oregano to the onions and stir well, then add the tinned tomatoes. Simmer for about 5mins.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook the gnocchi according to the packet instructions. Drain and hold back 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Use this liquid to rinse out the tomato cans into the tomato pot. Add the gnocchi to the pot.
- When the aubergine is cooked gently add the mix to the sauce, making sure not to break up the cherry tomatoes.
- Gently spoon the mix into a large oven tray, adding cubes of the cheese as you layer up.
- Top the dish with a generous helping of cheese and some vegan parmesan. Place in the oven and bake for 10mins.
Share and enjoy!