These bite sized cheesy leek treats are so tasty and you can simplify the ingredients if making with children, maybe just fill with cheese. They’re so much fun to make and topping them with some sesame or poppy seeds gives them an extra Christmasy feel. You can make them in advance and freeze too. They make a great Christmas party canapé that your friends will surely enjoy.
What you’ll need: (serves 10)
- I large leek, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 2 slices of vegan cheese, diced
- 1/2 cup of soy cream
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 180°.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the leeks, separating the strips as you let them fall into the pan. Reduce to a low heat and simmer, stirring regularly. Cook until tender.
- Add the thyme and cream and cook for a couple more minutes. Season well with salt and pepper, stir well.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Allow to cool.
- Lightly flour a clean surface and lay out your pre bought puff pastry sheets.
- When the leek mix has cooled enough add a thin, even layer to one sheet. Gently cover with the second sheet and lightly roll with a rolling pin, just to flatten it out.
- Use the cutters of your choice and start at the edge of the pastry, making sure not to waste any of it.
- If you have a little cream left, use it to brush on the puffs and sprinkle with some sesame or poppy seeds.
- Place the Christmas puffs on a large baking tray lined with baking parchment and cook for about 15mins.
Share and enjoy!