If I had only one food to bring with me to a desert island I think it would have to be the mushroom. The umami-packed, meaty shroom comes in many varieties and a lot of them work really well as a meat replacer. All you need is a little salt and some oil and you’ve got yourself the perfect tasty treat. Luckily I did have a few other ingredients in the kitchen when making these shrooms on toast.
What you’ll need: (serves 2-4)
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- About 2 teaspoons of thyme leaves plus extra sprigs for garnish
- Juice of half a lemon
- Sour dough or bread of your choice
- Grate the garlic into the oil, stir and leave to infuse for a couple of minutes.
- If you don’t have a large pan you can cook in batches. Add the garlic oil (with the garlic in it) to a pan and place over a medium heat. Add the mushrooms and thyme to the pan. Toss making sure they are all coated in the oil. When the mushrooms start to release moisture you can increase the heat a little. When they are almost cooked to your liking add a little salt and the lemon juice.
- Remove from the pan onto some toasted bread. Sprinkle over some thyme leaves.
Share and enjoy!