Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas holiday and, if you’re living in Ireland you managed to escape the cold that took so many people down. So many people including me. Delighted to say I’m feeling 100% better now and ready to grab 2017 with both hands, it’s gonna’ be a good one, I have a feeling.
When you’re ill there is nothing as comforting as a warm bowl of soup. Luckily I had plenty of this healthy carrot soup in my freezer. I make a big pot of it and once it’s cooled I fill freezer zipper bags with one or two portions. It’s packed with cold fighting ingredients and a spicy kick that makes you feel instantly better.
What you’ll need: (makes 10 portions)
- 500g carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 to 1.5 litres of vegetable stock (depends on how thick you like your soup)
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 2 x can’s of white beans, I’ve used butter beans (or four boiled potatoes to thicken)
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of chilli flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons of coconut milk (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoons of oil
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions. Cook for about 5 minutes and add the garlic and ginger and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add all of the spices and cook through of another couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Add the carrots and stock and cook with a lid on until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the beans and add to the pot. Heat through before blending with a hand blender or food processor. Season to taste.
Prep Time & Cook Time: 45mins
Share and enjoy!