A lot of people assume that being vegan must be really hard when it comes to eating and that I must spend a lot of my time craving the foods that I used to eat. The simple truth of it is that I still enjoy all of my favourite meals, the difference is that now they are all plant based. Are they lacking any flavour? Heck no! Part of the fun for me is in recreating my favourite dishes using only plant based ingredients. In sharing these recipes I allow the food to do the talking. An old favourite of mine is linguine in a creamy mushroom sauce. And here’s the recipe.
What you’ll need: (serves 4)
- 1 cup of cashew, soaked over night
- 2 cups of filtered water
- 400g of linguine
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 400g of chestnut mushrooms (or mushrooms of your choice)
- 187ml of vegan white wine
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- Violife parmesan
- Heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the mushrooms and toss making sure they are coated in the oil. Grate in the garlic and continue to cook.
- Cook the pasta to the packet instructions.
- Drain and rinse the cashews. Add to a food processor with half of the water and blend. Add in the rest of the water, bit at a time. This makes a really thick sauce so if you prefer a more watery consistency then just add more water.
- When the mushrooms have cooked turn up the heat and add the wine. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add the thyme and the cashew cream, stir well and add the nutritional yeast.
- Season well and add the pasta.
- Serve up and top with some vegan parmesan.
Share and enjoy!