Those of you that have been following my blog will know that I am a divil for comfort food and this recipe hits all the spots. It’s so simple to make and it’s a great way to use up left over veggies in your fridge. You could add courgette or aubergine and any beans will do. It’s also really good cold and reheated the following day. Winner!
I had some peppers that I needed to use up so I added them to the dish but if I had to choose one, it would be a red pepper. I’ve written the recipe with just red pepper but like all of my recipes, they’re there to be played with and always use your own taste bud intuition.
What you’ll need: (serves 4)
- 1 x 400g can of Butter Beans or Cannellini Beans
- 1 x 400g can of Black Beans or Kidney Beans
- 2 x 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 3 cloves or garlic
- 1 red chilli finely diced
- 1 cup of frozen sweet corn
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 cinnamon stick ( or 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon)
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- Sprinkling of dried chilli flakes
- Oil for cooking
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Heat some oil in a large pan over a medium head and add the onions. Cover with a lid and allow to sweat for about ten minutes or until the onions have become soft and translucent. Half way through the cooking grate in the garlic cloves and stir.
- Remove the lid and add in the spices and stir well to cook them. Then add the chopped fresh chilli and the red pepper and stir. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and stir well. Once again cover with the lid and leave to simmer for about 20mins.
- Drain and add the beans and the sweet corn and simmer on a low heat until the beans and corn are heated.
- Serve with some cooling guacamole or vegan sour cream and nachos or boiled rice.
Share and enjoy!